Saturday, November 08, 2008

foot girl

I have avoided American football for the past 8 years, turning away from any tv that shows it, even though its such an integral part of life here, like cricket is in India. But football makes no sense to me and its very rough, watching grown men pinning each other down in heaps makes me uncomfortable. I grew up calling 'soccer' football, so its always been just a little bit weird for me to make the transition..the whole petrol pump, dickey thing, ya know it.

But you can't live in TX and be unexposed to football for long...so last night I took Anika for a high school football game to watch Andrea's son Dominic play in the band.





I was amazed to see the pretty sizable stadium and the huge number of people there were for a 'high school' game. Football is obviously very well funded in this state. Anika looked around wide eyed at the bright lights and the crowds and slowly took it all in. She clapped and screamed with the crowd whenever she had a chance. The band played and she jumped to the beat in my lap and tried to spot Domi's back from the other 200 kids there. Before half time one of the kids was injured and had to be carried out on a stretcher...

It was a great experience except for the hurt child..

We decided to leave early to avoid the crowds. I had her in the carrier on the way to the car. Here's our conversation:

A: Mama Anika baby had fun in stadium
Me: That's great beta, i'm glad we came then
A: Ya. But sumdy(somebody) got hurt
M: Yes, he'll be fine though, don't worry
A: Will they take him to doctor?
M: Yes
A: Will his mama papa be there?
M: Yes they will, they'll take good care of him
A: Give him kichoos and warmee warmee milk
M: Yes..are you tired beta?
A: No but when I grow big and strong I play foot girl too

8 comments:

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

your baby has to be eaten up now ... I can imagine her being so excited and jumping up and down in the stadium :) Love her for us ... we cant wait 10 more days before we see you all again!!!!

Mother of the Freakin' Year said...

I love foot girl!

Anika is too cute for wards. She can do ANYTHING!

Mother of the Freakin' Year said...

She is also too cute for words. But wards, too.

iMother2.0 said...

Welcome to the official religion of Texas....Football...especially high school football.

I love how empathetic your lil beta is :)

Andrea said...

Oh, I wanted to eat your darling baby up when I saw you coming up the stadium steps with her on your back, and oh, how cute she looked!

I have to post my pics. But first need to take them off my card.

I'm so glad the big crowds didn't scare you off! I'm still adjusting!

Kaat said...

Ahhhh you're in INDIA! That explains the silence.
Have fun and do report back once in a while!

SUR NOTES said...

not connected to your post: have been meaning to write to you- your gift to sanah has transformed her into Jai from Sholay. Everytime she is mad at me or generally bored she goes and picks up the accordian and plays with 'full emotion' as they say in the industry.

Kaat said...

Missing you... I check back every few days, religiously. Hope you're having heaps of fun!