Thursday, November 06, 2008

Raising the bar

I wrote this the morning after the election, blogger wouldn't load sooner to publish..



Last night I had tears streaming down my face when I saw the spontaneous celebration of people of every color all over the country and the world when Obama was elected President. I was very very sceptical prior to the big day, I envisioned recounts and malfunctioning machines..but last night went way beyond my wildest dreams...it was incredible. I now believe that anything is possible in this country. I moved here when GWB came into power, right before 9/11. The last 8 years have been so tough in so many ways..I really wanted a change for this country. And man what an inspiring change its been.

I wept when McCain spoke..I was floored, he spoke from the heart and so graciously congratulated his opponent..For me coming from India seeing this maturity and humility in politics was awe aspiring. Speaking as 'himself', he made a real connection with me for the first time.

Then of course when Obama spoke...I wept again. Its obvious that he is a brilliant man who knows how to give a moving speech...but again it was his humility and manner that really got me. He didn't come out there and gloat, he didn't talk about himself..he spoke about the movement, he spoke about the road ahead, he spoke about the disappointment of the 48 million who didn't vote for him, it was like he carried their burden and wanted to win them over.

The part of his speech that really resonated with me was:

'And to all those who have wondered if Americas beacon still burns as bright - tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope.'

Last night I was proud to call America my home. There maybe many things wrong with America but the manner in which the people of this country can look at themselves and make a change for the better is amazing to me. There are so many injustices in India, that are left at the status quo because it is not in the interest of people in power to solve them. India still has very feudal, intolerant ways that are not truly examined with the aim of finding an enduring and fair solution. Even if laws are passed they are easily flouted and ignored...I could go on and on...

Last night showed what a democracy can be like when it really works.

Obama comes to power at a very difficult time with the economy in shambles, two ongoing wars, millions of unemployed people with talk of further massive lay offs looming..Times will be tough but I have faith. I was so cynical and jaded with GW that I had switched off but Obama has given me hope again that things can be different and fair. Its not about his color its about his ideals and his intelligence, he has truly raised the bar of presidency.

2 comments:

momstir said...

Nice post. I agree with you.

Lori said...

a beautiful post!