Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Sex and the city


Getting dressed up, sipping a beverage and watching this movie with friends was definitely the best way to do it. My verdict on the movie: Fun but I have some gripes. In general it pales in comparison to the series in its hey day (ie on HBO not the doctored version on the networks). I kind of liked being left with the last season in my head, in Paris with Carrie in that beautiful grey dress and Big driving up to her...I think the problem was Mr. Big, he's gotten too big and just didn't feel sexy anymore..=( There was no chemistry between them...Maybe its because his sex appeal came from his elusiveness? Seeing Mr. Big designing closets is a far cry from red balloons and a limo.

The story was predictable but good. Scenes with all four of them were as great as always. Carrie/SJP was fantastic throughout the movie, I'm a die hard fan. Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte did not skip a beat. Carrie and Miranda's friendship was very satisfying as always. The clothes/fashion, were a delight to watch. I can't imagine wearing most of them because I'm no longer a size six physically or mentally and frankly unless I got them at Goodwill I couldn't afford them. But watching, yum. All the colours, the fabulous bodies..that's the trip with SATC, livin' the life vicariously.

I missed seeing the city more...there were so many interiors in the film. I guess the four of them are just too famous to do long takes on busy NY streets anymore. Crowd control must have been really hard. The show had so much more of an independent feel because of the locations and the not yet 'so famous' cast. Some scenes really recreated the magic. The 'coloring' conversation, Charlotte in Mexico, Carrie packing with the girls, Valentine's day and New Years night were quintessential SATC.

I loved the music in the film but I really missed the original soundtrack in the beginning and also the opening credits. It was very clever the way they 'caught everyone up' in the beginning with the story but STILL I wanted to see Carrie on the streets of NY in her pink tutu, sans bra getting splashed by the bus with THE music in the background.

I think the real problem for me was the change in format. This was always meant to be vignettes into the lives of these people/divas, not actual chronological events leading up to a resolution. Fantasy can't be encapsulated into a marathon 140 minutes, 20 minutes once a week was more suitable, always left you wanting more.

BUT, BUT, BUT, go see it because its THE girls, its fun, you have to go! You can't not go for this if you were a fan of the series.

No comments: