Thursday, June 05, 2008

Gun Dun Go Do! Djembe'ing rocks!!


I went for my first Djembe class today and I had a blast! I loved it so much, I feel ALIVE!! The Djembe is a West African hand drum that is carved out of a tree, is covered with the skin of an animal and is meant to be played with bare hands. I had no idea my hands could make music and stay in tune/rhythm with other players. I was part of a drum circle that consisted of mostly unknown people. It was invigorating and meditative. I felt like a child and a primal woman all at once. What a trip.

Mae is a 40 something woman who teaches the class in her home. She is a great teacher who loves to drum so much its infectious. She is funny, warm and down to earth. Andrea thank you for introducing me to this. I really got into it. I was like eyes closed and zoning out, and it was my first day ever. I can't wait to go next week.

4 comments:

Mother of the Freakin' Year said...

I really dug drumming with my eyes closed, too. I'm about to go practice!

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

WHAT FUN ANJ ... I am so envious darling!? Where was Anika when you were drumming with your eyes closed in a trance et al? I am so happy that you enjoy it :)

Andrea said...

You're welcome my dear!

I had to close my eyes as well. Because with me being a lefty, and everyone else being right-handed, trying to jump back in by watching others' hands, was challening and threw me off. Will learn to use my ears instead of my eyes.

See you next week!

xo~

iMother2.0 said...

I also loved playing with my eyes closed :)

Looking forward to the class merge and drumming with you!