Sunday, September 21, 2008

The element

"Is the place where passion and skill meet. People find the element when they engage in the thing that they love that they are especially good at doing." Ken Robinson

Is it okay to be 34 and not yet know what you are especially good at?

I woke up at 6 this morning and instead of trying to go back to sleep I got out of bed, put on some walking clothes and started walking. It was as simple as that. I usually make lists of things I need before I can embark upon a 'fitness program' blah blah blah, I'm an expert at stalling..anyway decided to walk out of suburbia to the main road, very exciting. There and back was 45 minutes at a brisk pace. I just HAVE to make this a part of my life. All the people I admire have been regular exercisers all their lives. It just HAS to be one more thing like brushing my teeth or sleeping at night. My body needs this. I'm too young to be having aches in my knees, shoulders and back. Ridiculous. Anyway here's my commitment in print..I will do this for 30 days. Wake up early and go for a walk of at least 45 minutes.

I came back home and talked to my mother on the phone. I asked her what she thought my talents or strengths were growing up. She said confidence. I loved to be up on stage in front of people and entertain them, I loved to tell stories. " You were very confident and fearless and also dayavan(compassionate)." Should I be a theater actor, a preacher or a God father?

In other news, I did buy myself the implements to get started on my dream board, I just need to get them out of the dickey/trunk of the car.

Interesting piece for habit change.

6 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

Amazing piece for habit changing. Thank you for that, and for 'putting yourself out there'. There are many things about myself I'd like to change, and after reading that article, I can now see why it didn't work out.

What a beautiful call to your mother. Everything she said was true. Are these things that you don't know about yourself? Everyone else does :)

Love you and am so proud that you went walking and that you're wanting to improve your life. You're beautiful and brave.

Andrea said...

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”

Makes TOTAL sense.

I left Seattle feeling very motivated to lose weight, but did nothing because my habits for exercise are not there. Last night, I was at a party in a room of women in their 20's, donning stylish and form fitting clothing with no evidence of pudge. There came the motivation again screaming at me.

I'm doing this challenge with you! I'll get up 45 minutes earlier, and walk for 45 minutes before I begin work. Let's hold each other accountable.

I, too, am 34, and should not be feeling these aches. We're too young for this. And, we can use the endorphins too.

anja said...

Tanya, have I told you lately that I love you? You are just amazingly loving, supportive and true. Thank you for being in my corner, always. XOXOXO

Woo hoo!!! Andrea you are on, everyday for 30 days and then let's see what we feel like. I'm excited to have a team mate/partner. I am very keen on the point the article makes about knowing what your motivation is. So when your resolve is failing you need to revisit why you started doing it in the first place. Try to internalize that feeling you had at the party and the feelings you had in Seattle and keep them fresh. I will do the same, I also am trying to visualize myself the way I want to be...slowly bit by bit.

iMother2.0 said...

I'm in, but for sweet baby medical reasons, I have to keep it mellow. Moving is moving :)

Unknown said...

Health and Personal Growth are definitely areas in my Wheel of Life that could be enhanced by either some short or long term goals. I cant tell you how many times I have had the motivation but been unable to make a habit of personal fitness.

You have an amazing energy that sends such a wave of calmness over me everytime I am near you! I wish you nothing but the best in this endeavor.

Sara Ballard said...

You are MY inspiration!! Love you Anja!