Sunday, June 15, 2008

Aji



Last week Anika and I spent a lovely morning with Nikhil's Aji(grandma) and Ajoba(grandpa). They are here from India to visit their son Abhi, a dear friend of ours.

While growing up in Bombay/Mumbai I had easy access to tasty food made by friends' mothers from different parts of the country. One of my favorite foods growing up was 'Puran poli', a Maharashtrian speciality. I only got to eat it on festivals when some mothers would prepare it for poojas. My mother never made it because she didn't grow up with it in Punjab. A puran poli is basically a wheat roti(bread) stuffed with a delicious filling of gram dal(lentils) and 'gur'(natural sugar). YUM! Moving here reversed my fortunes with good, authentic, Indian mother made food. Abhi's mother is Maharashtrian and I thought learning how to make the dish from her would give me a chance to prepare it myself and introduce an authentic version to Anika. Aji very graciously agreed to teach me. Truth be told, I really just wanted to sink my teeth into a fresh, hot, delicious Puran poli myself.



The process was a lot harder than I expected. The stickiness of the sugar made it very hard to roll the dough into a round roti without breaking it. I watched in awe as Aji filled large amounts of yummy stuffing to a small circle of dough and gracefully closed it while turning it in her hand. She rolled it out into a perfect circle and transferred it off the 'chakla' or rolling surface onto a newspaper and gently slid it off onto the tawa(pan) in two fluid motions. Amazing to watch. My attempt was very clumsy and nerve wracking, after creating one lopsided, under filled roti, I offered to just watch the 'naazuk kaam' or delicate work. It was a good decision, because when it was done and ready for tasting..it was dream like.

Anika LOVED it! She literally danced after every bite and said 'yummy!'



I asked Anika, "Atta do you like it?"

Anika. "mmmmm..yummy!"

Me,"How much do you like it?"

Anika,"Too much!"

Aji said, " This is the reaction we mother's cook for."


8 comments:

Melissa said...

ajis are the best! i love that anika liked it too much.

iMother2.0 said...

what a wonderful time....my mouth waters for something I've never tasted :)

LOVE the pic of Anika on the counter...like she owns it all :)

SUR NOTES said...

she is already looking grown up!

truth be told, i was like a hungry scavenger, always looking to taste new flavours at different friends' places. puran poli, akuri, stew, aam ras, bombil etc etcpretty much got the whiff of every part of the country.

shall tell my mum to cook some home punj khana for you in austen!

Unknown said...

Anjalika -- you are a journalist at heart. What a wonderful story! On my daily walks, I pass the grandmother every day. I have been struck by her beautiful white hair! Thanks for sharing her story with us. Now I feel as though I know her.

anja said...

Melissa: They really are the best.

Tanya: You would love the taste even though its not gf

Sur: I forgot about aam ras..yum! kabhi aa rahin hain mummy?

Kathy: Thank you! Its so nice to have you as a reader, you are so attentive and kind=) Aji is really special, the next time you see her you should mention that you read about her wonderful culinary skills, I'm sure it would make her happy.

Andrea said...

I love Indian food. You will have to make us dinner one day.

;)

iMother2.0 said...

Anja...PLEASE keep in mind that I'm about 95% GF. I make certain exeptions ;)

SUR NOTES said...

abandoned the blog or what???
hope all well.