Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hindi and Bindi


Adorable picture of Anika courtesy Melissa

I finally had a play date at home. My friends Tanya and Andrea from my fabulous Mother's group suggested I host a play date with an Indian theme. So I gave it a tentative shot, I didn't think I had the initiative to get off my lazy ass and put something non-lame together. These mamas have set the bar very high.

Tanya and Andrea came a little earlier than everyone else, THANK GOD because I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Tanya and Mia came first. I got a warm warm Tanya hug that made me very happy. The sight of Andrea looking calm and beautiful in her purple and gold salwaar kameez put me right at ease. They were like, 'how can we help?' They got right to it. Andrea helped finish some of the craft prep while Tanya helped make everyone feel right at home as they came in. It felt like Mala and Priya(my older sisters) were around, they always had me covered. Tanya is like Priya, gregarious and loving. Andrea is like Mala, calming and dependable. I had my Hermanas by my side and life was good.

I had a few Indian books and toys on display, organized a craft activity and had some snacks available. Lora, the amazing made SAMOSAS!!!! I was floored, they were so tasty, I couldn't believe all the trouble she took. For the craft, I made stencils of each child's name out of foam and attached them to card stock with velcro. I wanted each child to go home with their names painted in Hindi. The foam was not rigid enough to hold up to jabs from toddlers' brushes. I suspect despite my best intentions all the kids' names have extra lumps on them. Next time I will try to use a more rigid material. However, I think the kids had fun and that is the REAL purpose right?

There were balls, dolls, cars, books, goldfish, raisins, hands, legs and little feet everywhere! I kept smiling from ear to ear the entire time, I was so thrilled to be surrounded by all this energy.



The most gratifying and loving part of the day was the warmth and openness of all the mamas. There were four American women dressed in Indian clothes. Melissa looked beautiful in a gorgeous sari, which she carried off better than me. Ever since I've had a toddler, I avoid wearing a sari like the plague because I'm certain I'll have it around my ankles in no time after one tug from Anika. Andrea looked gorgeous in her silk salwaar kameez. Tanya and Lora looked beautiful in vibrant churidaar kurtas. Everyone sported a bindi and looked so cute...

When they all left, I put Anika to bed and came downstairs to pick up. I realized there was nothing left to do, it was all done. I got kind of emotional when I went to the sink and noticed that some kind woman had even washed some of the dishes that I hadn't yet gotten to. Anika's bottles were washed and the sponges were neatly put away.

There will be many more play dates at this casa.

The pics are from Andrea, Tanya has great pics too on her blog.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

My dear Masi, I had a WONDERFUL time!! I'm so grateful that our lives have crossed paths.

I look forward to many more Hindi and Bindi events at your lovely casita.

xo,
Andrea

iMother2.0 said...

Oh lovely Anja, it was such a beautiful morning. Since you've told me about Priya, I've thought of her often. Oh I aslo found a neat translation, but of course it won't paste here, but it's pronounced baahen. Would that work with us :)

Like, baahen Andrea, I'm also looking forward to more Hindi Bindi events. As I was taking pictures of some of your items, I had so many questions about them. Maybe a show & tell?

Love,
Tanya

iMother2.0 said...

Oh, I also wanted to mention that as I read your post, I started to cry. Now, I AM very hormonal this week, but your loving words moved me.

Melissa said...

Gwen and I had such a wonderful time! I was so happy to get a chance to dress in my sari - it always makes me feel so elegant.

Thanks so much for welcoming us into your home and into your lives.

nopinkhere said...

Oh, please host again so Kanai and I can come! I was so envious of everyone, especially when I saw the pictures!

Unknown said...

Hi Anjalika -- what a wonderful event you hosted. Who knew there could be such cultural harmony here in the heart of Texas? Calls into question all those stereotypes, doesn't it.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us.

Love,
Kathy

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

Hey my anjee bungee ... what a delightful day it must have been!!! I am amazed at the love nest you have created for yourself in Texas with so many wonderful women and their babies ... Am dying to see more pics ... did you not click any darling or were you too busy running around organising things!?? Love you loads -- Pri

SUR NOTES said...

sounds like a wonderful party!