Thursday, August 16, 2007

Family bed blues..


Had a terrible night...thumki woke up every hour after 4am, plus once before that when I didn't look at the clock. I really want to believe in the family bed and it works well most of the time, the closeness and the snuggling are great but last night was terrible. She is not teething but she keeps waking up to snack..it usually happens after she has rotated and kicked me in the face or something and I try very slowly to make a few inches for myself..but she invariably wakes up in a few minutes and then the whimpering and searching for the boobie starts..I can't say no to her, she starts screaming and everyone is disturbed. We tried attaching the crib flush upto the bed next to me, no railing and stuffing pillows in the back, we have her favorite stuffed toys in there. We thought the extra space would give her undisturbed sleep but she only plays in the crib, she doesn't sleep in there..DH was getting into work late coz of disturbed nights, we tried to have him sleep in the other room for a couple nights but we both missed him. Last night when he came back, she was all over him, jumping on his belly, biting his nose etc..what a welcome=)

But anyway, I was so tired this morning..am everyday. I do not get a restful night of sleep and after some accumulation it takes a toll on my state of mind and body. I know I am not living in an optimised manner. Its not her fault, its my lack of training for her so far. She sleeps later than other babies her age do, because she needs some time with her father when he comes back from work...she is up until we sleep, which means no time for us together without baby..this is hard. I have to make a better routine for her. If DH would be consistent about the time he came home and we could have dinner finished by 7 and go for a family walk after dinner and then bath and in bed by 8pm...that would be sane..

According to Pri who is a family bed mama, you just have to get used to the lack of good sleep to enjoy hte benefits of warm, cuddly baby...there must be a middle road i can find...?

6 comments:

Maggie said...

It's never too late to start training - and I'm sure that all three of you could do with more sleep!

I understand that your husband would want to have some time with thumki when he comes home, but it is really important to have and maintain as far as possible a consistent bed time. I was tempted to let Moppet wait up for her Papa, but he was so erratic, and she would get so cranky with lack of sleep that it was just not worth it. She now goes to bed by 8.30 - 9 every day and is up by 6.30. Papa and daughter have a morning routine going where they spend time, read the newspaper, drink chai / milk together etc.

SUR NOTES said...

sanah has her mornings with the father too. but dont worry about good training, bad training... and this IS the middle road. the fatigue is for real. so is warmth , the cuddling, the nip on the nose and the kick in the face :)

anja said...

mm: Its not fair to make her life erratic for our sake. Been thinking the same thing, that its never too late..we have been trying to transition her from our bed to next to my bed..but if she can see me she wants me..We are now reluctantly thinking about putting her in her own room..=( isn't she too young? is moppet in her own room? I know most folks here do the nursery thing but what do other indian mamas do?

sur: you're a doll..=) How long is she going to be this baby anyway, right? Soon she'll be like 'Mom stop hugging me..' Pri, my sister says, forget about sleep once you become a parent, its always one thing or another...embrace the fatigue..
Is Sanah in her own room?

SUR NOTES said...

sleep graph: 1st month- slept in crib, fed every two to three hours. 2nd month to sixth month- slept through the night, in her crib.
sixth month until i weaned her- i.e.16 months- she fed i dont know how many times at night- and i dont know when, out of sheer exhaustion i shifter her into by bed!
16 months onwards slept through the night, in our bed. shifted her to her crib sometime back, with he side door open, and pressed against our bed. she just rolls into our bed, cuddles us, kicks us, and we have the tiniest beds in the history of tiny beds! so now she sleeps and we clutch the corners of our bed!
now that the editing is done- i will mke space in the study and shift her to her own bed!( and what about that warm warm cuddly body we have got used to :( ... but it has to be done soon or then i will become a cripple for life!

shall keep you posted...sorry for such a long progress report.

anja said...

thanks sur, that's exactly what I needed to hear! haha! clutching onto the corners of the bed..Sanah is lucky to have all the love and cuddling. I know exactly what you mean..how will I ever get used to life without that warm cuddly body? I've been thinking if I make her room very exciting, over time maybe she will be enticed into being on her own..for the timebeing I am thinking of a smaller bed attached to our big bed, that way, I can maybe roll off and sleep there and she will be undisturbed for some hours..if I could sleep in the crib I would but I don't think it is designed for my healthy body!!

Maggie said...

Moppet is not in her own room, but on her own mattress next to our bed, although I have been thinking about moving her into her own room, because we lose the use of our bedroom (for anything other than sleeping) from 8.pm onwards :-D