Monday, August 11, 2008

A mouse, a cat and a bear

All summer long some theaters in the city show free kids movies. Anika and I went to a couple. The first time was a failure, she wanted out in ten minutes, because some Bunnies were being portrayed in an unfavorable light. The second time around I took her for a movie just to kill time in the comfort of the ac until 'Story time' at Barnes & Noble. This time the movie was Stuart Little 2. She fell in love with the dapper Stuart from the first frame. By the time he was driving home from school in his fancy car, she was hooked. She didn't say much except for asking a few questions about his brother George. I tried to leave the movie when the bad guy 'the falcon' made an appearance but she was already in love with 'Tuart' and refused to leave. I watched with trepidation but soon got sucked into the narrative myself.

She loved Stuart's friend Margalow the little yellow, free spirited bird. She was entranced. After a lot of drama the movie finally ended, the titles began to roll and Anika had a total break down, "more movie' were the only words I could decipher between yells and sobs. I tried in vain to explain to her that all movies must end and that Stuart was fine and so was Margalow but she was inconsolable. She cried for 20 minutes. I was at a loss, I finally convinced her in SONG that Stuart and Margalow were living in the book store and we could go meet them in the DVD section. She was whimpering when we walked into B&N some what convinced of the story. To my horror they didn't have the DVD, I walked into the kids section looking for a distraction when Anika screamed, Tuart! and fell to her knees. There was a hard bound book about the mouse. Thank you God. She has not put the book down since.



This unfortunate looking cat fell into the in sink garbage disposal. I hid it from her for a few days. When she found him she was very upset. 'What happened to Mau? What happened to his er(ear), he got a big happi(hurt). Poor mau mama, what happened? I scrambled. He went out last night and got into a fight, give him love baby, he will get better. She carried him around everywhere for a few days and made these very unnerving crying meow sounds and then tended to him with kisses, clucking and saying poor mau, don't go out at night gen(again).



And this guy, now girl is wearing the product of my first attempt at sewing. Mel organized a crafty MNO at a lovely little local sewing shop called the Stitching Studio. While the others worked on unfinished projects, I tried my hand at stitching for the first time. Initially I just practised sewing in a straight line on paper with no thread. After doing 10 lines I was feeling bold and wanted some thread in my machine. Thanks to Melissa my first project was a little bag made from a basket of scraps at the studio, then I made a wine bottle carrier..but my piece de resistance is this..



Anika LOVES it, she takes the teddy everywhere





8 comments:

Banno said...

Mau looks really badly injured.

And your stitching efforts are commendable.

Lovely photos.

Melissa said...

Bear's dress is awesome - what a great project!

Sara Ballard said...

Good save at the B&N! You lie just like I do, phew! I am so sorry to see your poor cat's injuries... get well soon Mau! And the dress, well... how fabulous are you Anja?! Can't wait to see what you sew nex time!!!

Mother of the Freakin' Year said...

hahaha! I can empathize with Anika - I get way drawn in to narratives, too. I bet she is going to have a seriously active imagination...can't wait to read her stories! I LOVE your mama lies ;)

anja said...

Banno, thanks for visiting..Mau is quite a bechara=)

Melissa, thanks for threading my machine and nudging me on the road to doll dresses.

Sara, the lying comes with the territory..Maybe soon I can make a sling for teddy?

Mel, I'm so excited about stitching studio, thanks for introducing me. Can't wait to see that cool shirt completed and on G, he will be VERY handsome in it...Anika will be in love instantly.

Unknown said...

She is such a smart girl with a vivid imagination...like her mama, guess! :)

Andrea said...

Anika is so fun to read about. Very smart girl. Even Mike said to me, "You can tell Anika is very bright...the way she looks and observes and the things she says..."

And I'm very proud of your first stitching project. I still giggle thinking of you wandering around the room playing with your fabric for over an hour, like a student pretending to be busy.

And then you whip out this darling dress for teddy!

iMother2.0 said...

What an entry that pulled on my heartstrings.
What a sweet and caring child Anika is. Always very concerned of the well being of others (like her Mama). My heart broke when she wanted More Movie, but then when she was sitting with her Stuart Mouse book...so lovely.
Poor Mau.
What a super FAB outfit that bear is sporting! I'd LOVE a dress like that! and little Anika with it stuffed in her shirt. Priceless.
I miss you. I miss Anika.