Monday, February 18, 2008

Jodha Akbar is breathtaking


Put down that review that says JA is worth only two stars, in fact throw it down hard. Turn off the radio where people casually pass unintelligent judgement on this masterpiece. We saw it yesterday and loved it. EVERY minute of it.

It is extremely cinematic, sensitive and beautiful. Despite its grand scale its beauty is in the simple things. Ashutosh Gowariker is a thoughtful, conscientitious filmmaker who does not cater to the lowest common denominator for the sake of profit. The film is well grounded and rich in detail. The cinematography is grand yet understated. The sets are like the interiors of the beautiful Rajput palaces in their hey day, breathtakingly beautiful. Every set is like a snapshot from a palatial designer's manual, so gorgeous and tasteful, a feast for the eyes. The language is poetic. The music is fabulous, Rahman zindabad, that Sufi song just lifts me up, I've listened to it a million times and it puts me in a trance.

The casting is just perfect no one else could have done the roles of Jodha and Akbar as convincingly, as Aishwarya and Hritik, they make a fabulous couple. Hritik Roshan portrayed the humanity of the powerful emperor so convincingly, his whole persona was regal, idealistic and sensitive. He looked like a man who was trying to do the right thing and win a place in the hearts of people. He is also very easy on the eyes in his fantastic mughal wardrobe. Aishwarya Rai is perfect, she is just so beautiful and dignified. Her strength and beauty were a true depiction of a proud Rajput woman. Nobody could have done those fabulous Sword fighting scenes, she was just amazing. Together they are MAGIC. It was a real delight watching these two gorgeous people performing. They seemed so 'into' their characters. After leaving the film I really missed the world that it had created...

The portrayal of the confluence of Hinduism and Islam was done in many beautiful ways. Akbar supported his wife's need to continue practising her Hindu faith in a Muslim palace despite intense opposition from orthodox religious leaders...He had the wisdom to understand the difference between faith and religion...what an important message for our world today.

At the very core of the film is the love story of these two amazing forces from two very different worlds. After a long time I was really moved by a love story. I wanted them to get together so badly, I was like a hopelessly romantic teenager. In these times of in your face sexuality the restraint of this gorgeous couple was HOT. Really.

Go watch it on the big screen, you can buy the DVD later to savour it for years to come, but for now don't miss it on the big screen. My only regret was that I saw the film in a multiplex with a very sedate crowd..I wished for the catcalls and whistling I remember in hindi films growing up...I whistled twice much to the embarassment of my father! Papa loved the film, so did Mama but did groan in the war scenes, 'bahut lamba hai'. Rosh my 13 year old niece loved it and my sister love dit so much she is going for it again today..the very next day. Eat your heart out Hindustan Times.

6 comments:

Banno said...

Totally agree. Saw it yesterday. And Hrithik has totally bowled me over. How I'd love that bedroom in Agra Fort to be mine.

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

I cant agree more ... the film was flawless from start to finish and I loved every moment of even the II time I saw it ... and would not mind seeing it yet again. Yes it is the love story that is the binder and the amazing music that has stolen my heart away.

anja said...

So glad to see other people feel the same way..

Banno you're right that bedroom and her wardrobe..yum.

Pri, you lucky dog saw it again..=)

SUR NOTES said...

tagged! to do the a-z of anja.

iMother2.0 said...

I'll probably have to wait for DVD, and after your review, it's at the top off my list.

Nirmal Simon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.